Monday, August 1, 2011

What Does It Mean to "Level Up"?

So, I just got done reading Level Up by Gene Luen Yang. Good stuff. I'll try not to give too much away. Got me to thinking however, about what I'm going to do when I finally 'grow up'. For those of us still searching for that answer, we hear and believe in the idea that we should do what makes us happy. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found that thing that I'm addicted to in a sense that is seemingly purposeful. For instance, I do not think eternally dancing to James Pants' sets could possibly translate into something meaningful--that and JP doesn't come to my neck of the woods nearly enough for dancing to be even thought of as a constant. I do enjoy competitive athletics, but the same applies in this situation too--and there also have been painfully few opportunities to be involved in any sort of athleticism since I began graduate school. 

For the most part, I've just been doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I am searching for what I love in the process (I might be on the right track with engaging in art and storytelling alongside my scholarship) but how to navigate these waters and still have promising career prospects is rather dubious. I wish for the connection between doing what I love and doing what is beneficial for humanity to become clear at some point. For now, I am not sure how to begin searching for this balance in trying to 'grow up' yet doing well for myself, my family and humanity. Or maybe I should be thinking about this differently. I'm not sure but it's something I'll be meditating on from time to time as I try to find my way. 

Any thoughts or guidance on this topic would be nice. Especially for those of you pondering similar things. 

Well, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment