Friday, August 5, 2011

How DJing is like Research

After being inspired by this post on DJing, I began revisiting ideas of the similarities between being a DJ and being a researcher/scholar. Being a DJ myself (when I have the chance) I love it when I have a set that flows together and wish my research came out similarly, which is how I began thinking about the subject. Here are a few of the ideas I had about the topic.

For one thing, like a researcher/scholar, DJs have to know their music. This usually means they've heard the stuff they play hundreds of times. Not only that, but they get a feel for the themes in their music enough to fit things comfortably together in ways others might not have noticed otherwise. Researchers and scholars do this, only with books instead of music. With both repetition is key to becoming familiar with both sets of knowledge.

There is also a air of expertise required in each realm. DJs have flexibility and freedom of choice as to what their area of 'expertise' is. For some, this can be rather fluid and expansive. Research is kind of the same, except for there are other forces that dictate what one can and cannot do. Often what is and isn't considered research dictates what a researcher/scholar does. When treated in such an orthodox manner, research/scholarship becomes rather restrictive and thus lacking in soul. With DJing on the other hand, a DJ is free to infuse their craft with their personality. Depending on the setting, I like to communicate messages of love thematically. In other words, I think it is easier for DJs to have a voice through their craft that is not nearly as transparent in research/scholarship.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Maybe thinking of research like DJing might change the way I pursue it. But it's not nearly as simple. For one thing, DJs have a choice of what their model is and can make their own rules when it comes to constructing it. Researchers/scholars have to read stuff they do and don't want to, and most of it wouldn't be read otherwise. Quite frankly some of the stuff I have to read makes my eyeballs want to bleed--probably because I also want to stab them out.  Not the case with DJing where I do not have to suffer and most of the stuff I like is more like crack to me than a royal pain--especially when finding a musical gem. Not very many books do that for me. Oh well, I'll do my best to try integrating the thoughts I have about DJing into doing research since, regardless of my experiences in reading some of this stuff, I really do want to become a scholar with my voice and soul in tact.

If there are any additional thoughts on this topic along with maybe making scholarship more like DJing in spirit, or just other things that should be considered, feel free to contribute your ideas. As usual, I'm open to them.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment